Job Announcement: Community Organizer
Posted: June 22, 2016
Application deadline: July 22, 2016
Western Colorado Congress is a grassroots, democratic organization dedicated to challenging injustice by organizing people to increase their power over decisions that affect their lives. WCC’s community groups and members work together to create healthy, sustainable communities, social and economic justice, environmental stewardship and a truly democratic society.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Western Colorado Congress employs three full-time community organizers, who cover Garfield and Routt counties; Mesa County; and Montrose and Ouray counties. We are looking to fill the Mesa County organizer position, which is based out of our Grand Junction office.
As a community organizer, you won’t be tied to a desk, you’ll meet lots of people, and you’ll make change happen at the grassroots level. Your role will be to bring people together to build their collective clout, to empower them to gain seats at the tables where decisions are made, and to train them to be not only campaigners but also leaders and potential decision-makers.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Recruit new members
- Plan and implement strategy on issue campaigns
- Conduct research
- Participate in grassroots fundraising efforts
- Train members in activism skills
- Communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Plan and generate turnout for events
- Help members in their contacts with public officials and the press
- Commitment to Western Colorado Congress’ issues and values
- Ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently, think strategically and be organized
- Strong speaking and writing skills
- Familiarity with computers including word processing and social networking
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, and to occasionally travel out of town for 3-4 days at a time
- First-hand experience of western Colorado, and a good understanding of the area’s culture and issues
- Experience working for a nonprofit organization working for social change, on environmental issues, or on a political campaign
- Experience in communications or fundraising
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary depends on experience. Benefits include: health insurance; 4 weeks vacation; pension program; sabbatical after 5 years of full-time employment.
APPLICATION must include:
- cover letter (tell us why you want the job)
- short writing sample (eg, a letter-to-the-editor)
- contact information for 3 professional references
Send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents should be in either Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf).